Re: [Condor-users] measuring power of cluster

Hi

On Wednesday 11 August 2010 05:04:59 Mag Gam wrote:
> I have a fairy large pool and I want to see how ours stack with to the
> top 500. We have close to 1000 node cluster on weekdays and on
> weekends it almost triples...

With a bit more than 5000 compute cores and a good networking (albeit not
Infiniband) we scored close to 33 TFlop Linpack vs. more than 50 TFlop peak.
My take is: If you want to play, you need (a) a very good network (low
latency, bandwidth is not so much of a problem) and (b) time.

The last part cannot be stressed too much. It took Intel professionals about
2-3 weeks to get to that score, during that time you cannot use the cluster
for anything else. Especially, if you only have 3000 nodes available during
the week-end, this will be a real headache.

So, up to you to decide if it's worth it.

Cheers

Carsten
--
Dr. Carsten Aulbert - Max Planck Institute for Gravitational Physics
Callinstrasse 38, 30167 Hannover, Germany