[Condor-users] LoadAvg calculation/bug?

Condor: 7.5.2
Debian Linux distribution AMD64
Nodes: 64

We have shared cluster where users may log in and start jobs manuall.
We would prefer
that nodes/slots with a high local  load average be avoided for condor
jobs.
We have added Rank = (100 - LoadAvg) to our standard submit scripts.
However,  using condor_status I see many nodes (already being used by
others)
show a LoadAvg of 0.0 meaning they are scheduled with equal rank.

In some condor documents it seems that LoadAvg is determined by the
submitted condor jobs and in others it seems to be the true machine
load reported by the OS.

1. Is LoadAvg supposed to be the kernel reported load average?
2. If so, then I believe there is a bug
3. If not then how should I select for machine with no or very low
load?

Thanks,
Kris