Re: [Condor-users] Maya render farm with condor

Thanks a lot . I managed to get it done, by specfying seperate arguments and queueing each one

Ryan

On 5/18/10, Dave STREET <davey_street@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
As I see it this is suybmitting a single job? so it wil only go to one node on the cluster.

I don't know what the excatuable is doing as I am no Maya expert.

But what you would expect to see iss something like

queue=50

this would queue up 50 copies of the job each one would them be farmed out to an avalible node.

how you split the work between the clietns is up to you,

you may put a varibable in the comman line path, so that it takes the job number as an input.

you could set up mutiply input files that have the frames that you need to render (so have 50 inpu files each containing a segemtn of the entire job)

or you may even be able to set it up so that the jobs continue running and grab frames from a common source untill they have all be processed.

CONDOR will only farm out the jobs, it dosn't have any method to split up the aculy work load built in by default.

my sugestion would be to see how many fames you have in total. and the time it takes too render 1 frame.

then set up an input file that contains the file names of enough frames to keep a node busy for about 5min.

you would then set up your job.bat file to say some thing like

"for each file name in the input file run the maya command against."

and create say ten input files each with a differernt set of frame and give them a number. (start from zero)

ie input1.frames

then the submit job would be

inputfile=input$(PROCESS).frames

queue=10

this would set up ten jobs and they will be farmed out to the nodes to run in parellal.

this woudl be the simple way to do it, I am sure there are better and more cleaver ways but this would be good to start of to see how it works.

Aaron