[Condor-users] Condor Virtual Machines with KVM

Hi everyone,

I'm currently trying to get Condor to run virtual machines using the KVM hypervisor, but I'm having some problems.

I have a few machines set up to run VMs through Condor, and, based on their log files, they are attempting to start vm universe jobs when I submit them. The virtual machine image, however, never gets loaded, and the job fails. Condor tries to resubmit it, but it just keeps failing. I think this is due to permissions issues related to bridged networking.

It appears that bridged networking is broken in KVM for non-root users. When you try to start a virtual machine, KVM (through qemu) tries to create a TAP device to connect through your network bridge. Creating a TAP device, however, appears to be restricted to root users, and it throws an error when you try to start a VM using a non-root account.

So, my question is - can Condor run virtual machines that use bridged networking through KVM? Is there a workaround to get past the TAP device issue? Does anyone have any experience with Condor and KVM?

Any insight would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Ryan