Re: [Condor-users] getenv in submit file has no effect

Alexander Dietz wrote:
Hi,

I have a problem with the getenv command in a submit file. I am using the following submit file:

universe = vanilla
executable = ./printenv
arguments =
environment =
getenv = True
log = logs/test.log
error = logs/test-$(cluster).err
output = logs/test-$(cluster).out
notification = never
queue 1

1. print the environment variable on the bash directly:
 > echo $PFILES
/archive/home/dietz/pfiles;/archive/home/gcolclou/heasoft6.9/heasoft-6.9/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu-libc2.5/syspfiles

Hi Alex -

Your understanding of how thing should work is correct.

So all the above works for me as expected IF I have the env var PFILES set to be "foobar" or something similar. If I set PFILES to be the exact same string as you above, it doesn't work. :( I think the problem may have to do with the semi-colon or some other character tripping up condor_submit. We will have to investigate a bit more today and come up w/ a work-around and/or a fix.

> how I can make sure the environment variables I
have set at the time I call condor_submit will be used on the node that runs the executable?

Do a "condor_q -l ..." to view the complete job classad for the job. One of the job attributes is "Env" which is the environment string that will be passed to the job. All "getenv=true" does it is tells condor_submit to stuff the current environment into the job classad.

Todd

Thanks
  Alex

[1] <http://www.cs.wisc.edu/condor/manual/v6.6/condor_submit.html>