Re: [Condor-users] kbdd not working on windows server 2008

I’m using Condor version 7.6.1, and condor_kbbd indeed runs as “system”.

Eric

From: condor-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:condor-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of John (TJ) Knoeller
Sent: Thursday, July 21, 2011 10:27 AM
To: condor-users@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Condor-users] kbdd not working on windows server 2008

What version of Condor are you using?
is KBDD in your DAEMON_LIST?
does an instance of KBDD run as the user when the user logs on?

Starting with Windows Vista, (Win7, Server 2008) Microsoft changed the desktop rules so that
the state of the keyboard for the logged on user isn't visible to services.  So a KBDD running as
SYSTEM thinks the keyboard is always idle.

The MSI installers for Condor 7.4.4 and 7.5.6 (and 7.6.x) will add the KBDD to the Users's Run key
so that whenever a user logs on, a new instance of the KBDD will start.  You can create the key
yourself if you didn't use the MSI installer, but the KBDD for older versions of Condor doesn't work
when run in this mode.

http://www.cs.wisc.edu/condor/manual/v7.6/3_13Setting_Up.html#SECTION004136000000000000000

-tj