Re: [Condor-users] Condor and the Green Agenda

On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 10:46 AM, Ian Cottam
<Ian.Cottam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I would welcome comments on how _you_ are reacting to the Green agenda.

Despite my presentation at Condor Week 2011, we've mostly moved past
trying to green the campus with Condor. Our CIO determined that the
amount of money we'd save by hibernation wasn't worth the effort. We
still haven't found any users for a low-powered VM to run on our
otherwise-unused Windows labs. I've approached a professor who has a
BOINC project, but we've not been able to prod them (I may just have
to set it up and say "hey guys, enjoying those extra cycles?"). Part
of the issue we face is that most of the work I want to do requires
coordinating efforts with groups who report to different VPs or deans,
each with their own degree of autonomy, their own priorities, and
their own understaffing problems.

Having said that, the opportunistic cycles we've gained from our
research clusters have been a tremendous savings for green money and a
green environment.

--
Ben Cotton
Systems Research Engineer