[Condor-users] Modifying Condor's MSI distribution

Hi there,

VUW's Condor Grid has its windows execution nodes deployed and
controlled by our central IT facilitator, whilst the Eng and Comp
School operate the Condor master, which runs on a UNIX-like machine.

The Uni has recently moved to win 7 machines, but are seemingly
been having a hard time getting Condor deployed correctly.

Because of a couple of extra requirements that are needed to be added
to the configuration, we use a batch file as the LOCAL_CONFIG_FILE,
as this enables us to get around the fact that you can't know exactly
what's installed on any given windows machine that might appear in
the Condor Grid.

In my own testing (and whilst I would not normally touch windows with
a barge pole, things seem to have worked) I have seen that the only
changes to an "out of the dot-msi file" MSI install, are the provision
of the local .BAT file itself and a one line change in the main config
file, vis:

< LOCAL_CONFIG_FILE     = $(LOCAL_DIR)/condor_config.local
---
> LOCAL_CONFIG_FILE     = $(LOCAL_DIR)/etc/vuwconfig.bat|

I'd like to simply be able to present our central IT facilitator
with something that works, without their needing to have to do
anything but install the payload.

If I have a Condor-provided MSI file, how do I go about unpacking,
modifying and repacking it, so that the paylod includes the extra
.BAT file and the modified "condor_config".

Is it as simple as adding/refreshing files in a TAR ball?

somemsiutil.exe \r \v \f condor-7.4.4-winnt50-x86.msi c:\condor\condor_config

--
Kevin M. Buckley                                  Room:  CO327
School of Engineering and                         Phone: +64 4 463 5971