Re: [Condor-users] SMP machine - Defining and naming Slot Types

On Thursday, 23 August, 2012 at 4:43 AM, Yuval Leader wrote:

Hi,

I used the default “evenly divide all resources” option on my single SMP machine.

As expected, the vm got the names slot1, slot2 etc.

Question #1: Is there a way to assign my own machine names instead of slot1, slot2 ? for example I would like to name them “donald”,”mickey”,”goofy”

No. But you can change the prefix. See: http://research.cs.wisc.edu/condor/manual/v7.6/3_3Configuration.html#17909

You can also make per-slot attribute settings and push custom ads to the slots that "name" them: http://research.cs.wisc.edu/condor/manual/v7.6/3_13Setting_Up.html#36580

FunnyName = "noname"
STARTD_ATTRS = FunnyName, $(STARTD_ATTRS)
SLOT1_FunnyName = "donald"
SLOT2_FunnyName = "mickey"
SLOT3_FunnyName = "goofy"

Now you can see these names with 'condor_status -f "%s\n" FunnyName'.

I would like to try out the “Define your own slot type option”.

For example, I would like to define one slot with a larger portion of the memory and call is “bigmem”. The other slot to be called “normalmem”

From the in-source documentation of the condor_config, I understand that the naming convention is “SLOT_TYPE_<N>”

Question#2: In the “Define your own slot type option”, what are the machine names, in the standard naming convention of  “SLOT_TYPE_<N>” ?

I'm not sure what you mean by machine names? You define types:

SLOT_TYPE_1 = …some config…
SLOT_TYPE_2 = …some config…

And then you tell Condor to create instances of those type:

NUM_SLOTS_TYPE_1 = 1
NUM_SLOTS_TYPE_2 = 2

That'll make slot1@<hostname> be of type 1 and slot2@ and slot3@ be of type 2.

 Question#3: In the “Define your own slot type option”, can the names of different types of machine types be changed to what I want e.g.  “bigmem”,  “normalmem”?

No. Has to be an integer. See: http://research.cs.wisc.edu/condor/manual/v7.6/3_13Setting_Up.html#36499

Regards,
- Ian

---
Ian Chesal

Cycle Computing, LLC
Leader in Open Compute Solutions for Clouds, Servers, and Desktops
Enterprise Condor Support and Management Tools

http://www.cyclecomputing.com
http://www.cyclecloud.com
http://twitter.com/cyclecomputing