Re: [HTCondor-users] Old and New ClassAds

On Dec 11, 2012, at 12:20 PM, Brian Candler <B.Candler@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I came across an oddity in the documentation here:
> http://research.cs.wisc.edu/htcondor/manual/v7.8/4_1HTCondor_s_ClassAd.html#SECTION00511000000000000000
>
> "HTCondor will avoid using these features until the 7.7.x development series,
> as using them makes it difficult to interact with older versions of
> HTCondor."
>
> And at two points later in the page it refers to "this HTCondor version
> 7.5.1 release"
>
> But this is the manual for 7.8.x :-)
>
> Anyway, this makes me wonder about the accuracy of an assertion made
> slightly earlier:
>
> "All user interaction with tools (such as condor_q) as well as output of
> tools is still done as Old ClassAds"
>
> I *think* this is still true (e.g. condor_status -long gives what looks like
> old-style ClassAds).  Is that correct?

Yes, that is still true. This mainly affects how characters are escaped in strings.

Most of the features added in new ClassAds can be used starting with Condor 7.5.1. We haven't used them in core HTCondor yet as that prevents the daemons from interacting with versions older than 7.5.1. We are starting to do so now in HTCondor 7.9.x.

I'll clear up the wording in the manual.

Thanks and regards,
Jaime Frey
UW-Madison HTCondor Project