Re: [Condor-users] [CONDOR] - How to change processord load?

Hi Gauthier:

Response inline.

On Thu, 2012-05-03 at 16:23 +0200, Guillaume Gauthier wrote:
> Hi everybody.
>
> I hope i am in the right place to ask some help and my english will
> not be too bad :)
>
> All my Condor machines are Virtual Machines (Debian) which are run on
> Windows.
>
> I have a Windows script which detects if the machine is busy or not,
> and then it send a boolean to a Linux script.
>
> I configure condor to run when load processor is below MAX_LOAD.
>
> I would like that my Linux script change the processor load to a value
> > MAX_LOAD.
>
> After some researches, i found that it's not easily possible to
> change /proc/loadavg without stress the machines which is not
> admissible for users.
>
> So i would like to know if it's possible to inform condor to check
> load processor in another file like /tmp/loadavg, then i could put
> what i want in this file.
>
> If you have some hints or criticals i will be grateful.

While I am not sure I understand your problem completely - see several
suggestions below:

You may want to checkout Condor's Hawkeye implementation (see
<http://research.cs.wisc.edu/condor/hawkeye/>).

Basically, you could write a script which outputs the necessary load
value (or boolean, as you described) via stdout, which would then be
incorporated into the machine classad. For instance, the script may
output:
WINDOWS_LOAD = 1.0
when the system load is particularly high. Then you could define your
START expression using this value rather than using the standard load
average value.

You may also want to checkout the configuration of the Pools of Virtual
Boxes project on sourceforge
(<http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/poolsofvirtualb/>), we do something
very similar with our virtual machines.

Cheers,