Re: [HTCondor-users] Stop making users explore

Michael, I appreciate your words and ideas. I like this in particular:

And I'm thinking that a clear walkthrough on standing Âup a simple Linux-only vanilla pool with dedicated exec hosts, a "condor" username and home directory, shared filesystem, common UID domain, and all that very basic stuff would be a good foundation for novices - even novices with 25 years of experience, like me - to start building from.

After 30 years, the HTCondor project needs some new ways to grow. I feel every word you write as true, it can not continue dumping staffÂ

HTCondor project IMO needs people like you to start new new distributions, and support Âthem commercially for ease of use and UX improved  I even like the name " Novice Condor".

BTW, the Condor team has some of the best engineers I ever met in my professional life. HTCondor, by sheer volume of code and ideas , is a gigantic undertaking.

What we need is to make usable all this know-how Âinto something people love and can use using human intuition. Advice like

1ÂÂ ( TARGET.Memory >= 1465 )ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ 0ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ MODIFY TO 973

is BRILLIANT , but not intuitive. A product is more than just code (lots of it) and documentation (lots of it).Â

A definition of a product (one of many) is here:

A good, idea, method, information, object or service created as a result of a process and serves a need or satisfies a want. It has a combination of tangible and intangible attributes (benefits, features, functions, uses) that a seller offers a buyer for purchase. For example a seller of a toothbrush not only offers the physical product but also the idea that the consumer will be improving the health of their teeth.

HTCondor open source can not be a product, because (1) Âis not something a seller offers a buyer for purchase. Then Â(2) it lost track of whose needs or wants it must satisfy . There is no doubt that that HTCondor has substantial tangible and intangible benefits.

But without Âitems (1) and (2) we can not call it a product. Even for the scientific community, I discovered that scientists are just as human as all of us and will not put up with complexity to do their research. This explains why Cycle Computing is so successful.

Many thanks

Miha