Re: [HTCondor-users] "File Transfer Using a URL" seems to be useless on Windows!

On 4/1/2014 1:50 AM, Alexey Smirnov wrote:
Hi!

We have Condor 8.0.5 installed on Windows machines. Recently I tried to
use "File Transfer Using a URL" mode in my job file and finally came to a
conclusion that either Condor has a bug or such mode is not designed to
access files on network drives.

The test job is very simple
======
Executable = test.bat
Universe = vanilla
run_as_owner = true
should_transfer_files = YES
when_to_transfer_output = ON_EXIT
transfer_input_files = file://fileservername/path/file
Queue
=======

Just curious...  if you did
   transfer_input_files = \\fileservername\path\file
does it work? This will result in the file being transferred by HTCondor from the submit machine to the execute machine. My guess is that it will work assuming that you can access that UNC path from your submit machine.

Also, did you already configure your Windows execute machines to properly run jobs as the submitting user (i.e. run the condor_credd, store the password, etc). See http://goo.gl/lIWTa5 . I am guessing you did since you have "run_as_owner = true", but as a test, if you submit a job where executable = c:\windows\system32\whoami.exe, does it return what you'd expect?

Meanwhile, someone more familiar with the file transfer via URL plugin can chime in....

regards,
Todd

Trying to run it I get the following log:
=======
Shadow exception!
Error from slot1@[...]: STARTER at [...] failed to receive file
C:\condor\execute\dir_3256\file: FILETRANSFER:1:non-zero exit(37) from
C:\condor\bin\curl_plugin.exe
=======

Exit code 37, as far as I know, is Access Denied in the curl library.
Trying to debug this error I realize that the reason is very simple!
The process curl_plugin.exe is running under SYSTEM account (like
condor_starter) and obviously has no access rights outside the local
machine! I think it is very clear that a specialized file transfer plugin
(like curl_plugin.exe) must be running under the account of job submitting
user otherwise I hardly imagine how URL file transfer could work without
authorization... Is that a bug?

Thanks,
Alexey