Re: [HTCondor-users] jobs with disjoint requirements

On 10/25/2015 8:39 AM, Krieger, Donald N. wrote:
I have two sets of jobs queued to run:

(1)Jobs for which the requirements _prohibit_ deployment to machines in
subdomain 123.456 .

(2)Jobs for which the requirements _require_ deployment to machines in
subdomain 123.456 .

Suppose there are 5000 of the jobs which require 123.456 at the head of
my queue, either because I’ve set their priority high or because they
were queued first.

Yet there are no cores available in that subdomain but there are
machines available outside it.

Will the jobs which prohibit deployment to 123.456 run or do they have
to wait till all of the jobs ahead of them which require 123.456 are
running first?

The jobs which prohibit deployment will run; they will not have to wait for jobs ahead of them to run first. HTCondor will eagerly attempt to match and run all your jobs.

You can demonstrate this to yourself with a submit file like

  executable = /bin/true
  requirements = false
  queue
  requirements = true
  queue

You should observe that the second queued job will run.

If this is not the behavior you want, i.e. you want your lower priority jobs to wait until the higher ones have completed, at first blush I think you'd have to use condor_submit_dag (DAGMan).

regards,
Todd