Re: [HTCondor-users] New to ht condor and have basic questions

On 1/13/16 4:25 AM, Mathieu Peyréga wrote:
> Outside HTCondor, the software runs very well on 1 thread per core (so 8
> threads). I understand that HTCondor will add some overhead (that I hope
> will be regained when scalling to multiple machines) but I really thinks
> something is going wrong outside of that overhead...

I think you need to specify how many processors each job wants in your
submission file. For example:

  request_cpus = 4

will request 4 processors (cores/threads). The default is 1. You
typically need to request CPUs equal to the number of threads a
multi-threaded program will create. If this works then you should look
into dynamic slots:
https://research.cs.wisc.edu/htcondor/CondorWeek2012/presentations/thain-dynamic-slots.pdf

Alternatively, you can try configuring the program to run
single-threaded and keep the default static slots.

--
Rich Pieri <ratinox@xxxxxxx>
MIT Laboratory for Nuclear Science