Re: [HTCondor-users] Email notification not work

On 5/13/2016 3:10 AM, feih@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Hi All:

We have a tiny HTCondor cluster consists of 9 servers, 1 for central
manager/scheduler, 8 for starter. Now everything works except email
notification.

I can confirm /usr/bin/mail –s subject  feih@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
works, because outgoing message received successfully.

And condor_config_val –dump | grep MAIL in the central node reports:

CONDOR_SUPPORT_EMAIL =

EMAIL_DOMAIN =

EMAIL_NOTIFICATION_CC =

MAIL = /usr/bin/mail

MAIL_FROM = gitlab@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
<mailto:gitlab@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

However, if I add following lines to job description file and make
submission, no notification received after job completion.

Notification = Complete

notify_user = feih@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
<mailto:feih@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Is there anything I can do to debug this problem, I have whole control
on all servers (postfix/HTCondor etc).

Debian Jessie + HTCondor 8.2.3~dfsg.1 from official debian repository.

Thank you very much.

B.R.

FEI Hao

Hi,

Just a guess, but it looks like you are being hit by a bug that was fixed starting with HTCondor v8.2.6 and above. Specifically, this one:
 https://htcondor-wiki.cs.wisc.edu/index.cgi/tktview?tn=4764

My guess is HTCondor v8.2.3 is invoking mail with a "-f" command-line argument for the from address, like so
  /usr/bin/mail -s subject -f gitlab@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx user@xxx
And my guess is /usr/bin/mail on Debian wants the from address via a "-r" argument because "-f" means something else.

If I guessed right, as a workaround you could get rid of the MAIL_FROM setting in your condor_config file(s), which should cause HTCondor v8.2.3 to omit the incorrect "-f" option all-together. Or you could write your own wrapper script for /usr/bin/mail that converts the "-f" to "-r" and set MAIL in condor_config to point to it. Or you could upgrade HTCondor to a more recent version where this issue has been fixed- recent versions are available packaged for Debian, see
 https://research.cs.wisc.edu/htcondor/debian/

Hope the above helps,
Todd

--
Todd Tannenbaum <tannenba@xxxxxxxxxxx> University of Wisconsin-Madison
Center for High Throughput Computing   Department of Computer Sciences