From: HTCondor-users [htcondor-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] on behalf of Todd Tannenbaum [tannenba@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: 24 May 2016 19:31
To: HTCondor-Users Mail List
Subject: Re: [HTCondor-users] stdout not streamed back - stream_output = true

Hi Lukas,

Random guess - perhaps your python test job should include the line
    sys.stdout.flush()
right after your print() statement so that stdout is flushed out to the
filesystem?

A common mistake people make here is to specify the same file for stdout
and stderr, which iirc the streaming code does not like, but I see below
you did not do that...

regards
Todd

On 5/24/2016 12:23 PM, Lukas Koschmieder wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I use Condor 8.3.8 (EPEL repo) on a CentOS 7 server (VirtualBox).
> Everything works fine except that stdout is not streamed back. The
> output file remains empty until the job is completed. What could be the
> reason for that?
> * My Condor job is set up to use the Vanilla universe
> * stream_output is enabled
> * I use the default Condor configuration (unaltered)
> * My Condor "cluster" consists of a single node
> * The node acts as collector/negotiator, scheduler and starter
>
> My Condor job description file:
>      universe = vanilla
>      executable = sleep.py
>      arguments = A 60
>      transfer_executable = true
>      stream_output = true
>      should_transfer_files = yes
>      output = A.out.txt
>      error = A.err.txt
>      log = A.log.txt
>      queue
>
> My executable (prints a string to stdout (approx.) every second):
>      #!/bin/python
>      import sys, time
>      name = sys.argv[1]
>      delay = sys.argv[2]
>      for i in range(1, int(delay) + 1):
>          print(name + " " + str(i) + "/" + delay)
>          time.sleep(1)
>
> Best regards,
> Lukas

> The archives can be found at:

Todd Tannenbaum <tannenba@xxxxxxxxxxx> University of Wisconsin-Madison
Center for High Throughput Computing   Department of Computer Sciences
HTCondor Technical Lead                1210 W. Dayton St. Rm #4257
Phone: (608) 263-7132                  Madison, WI 53706-1685