Re: [HTCondor-users] Order of Job scheduling

On 11/23/2016 5:46 AM, Fischer, Max (SCC) wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> is there a way to influence the order in which jobs are scheduled?
> Something like GROUP_SORT_EXPR, but working on auto clusters.
>
> We use partitionable slots and have jobs which fall into certain
> categories, e.g. multi-core and single-core. We'd like to preferably
> schedule the jobs which fragment resources the least, i.e. multi-core
> should go first.

In addition to the previous suggestion of creating a group to handle this, another possible solution is to configure your startd policy to match only multicore jobs on slots that have been recently drained. This policy works very effectively here at UW-Madison. See

 https://htcondor-wiki.cs.wisc.edu/index.cgi/wiki?p=HowToMatchMulticoreAfterDrain

regards,
Todd