Re: [HTCondor-users] ShadowLog not accessible for Shadows, jobs not starting/not ending up in the right slot for their Shadow

> On Feb 5, 2020, at 2:10 PM, Todd L Miller <tlmiller@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Such a shadow process tries to open the ShadowLog but seem to fail with
>> a 'Operation not permitted' [2].
>
> 	In the log fragment referenced here, the only EPERM I see is for chmod().  The return code of the chmod() I see in the logging code is deliberately ignored, so I'd be surprised if this was directly responsible for a problem.  It does, however, seem a little strange.

The EPERM error for chmod() is a small bug in the logging code thatâs harmless. Every daemon updates the ctime of its log file once a minute. This lets us approximate the time at which a daemon locks up or crashes, if it wasnât writing to the log at the time. The shadow is attempting to do this periodic ctime update as the wrong user (as the job owner instead of as user condor). Since multiple shadow daemons share the same log file, the ctime update isnât helpful most of the time.

 - Jaime