From: HTCondor-users <htcondor-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx> on behalf of Greg Thain <gthain@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, December 29, 2021 4:11 PM
To: htcondor-users@xxxxxxxxxxx <htcondor-users@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [HTCondor-users] Prioritize newest CPUs in matchmaking

CAUTION: This email originated from outside of the organisation. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognise the sender and know the content is safe.

On 12/29/21 4:42 AM, West, Matthew wrote:
> What ClassAd _expression_ (job submitter or sys-admin) is used to
> prioritize matches with the most recent processors in a highly
> heterogeneous pool? I know there is some processor metadata in the
> Machine ClassAds but it's not clear to me how to map that to "use the
> newest available for my jobs".

Hi Matt:

HTCondor detects and advertises the x86 "Processor Family" and "Model
Number" in the slot attributes "CpuFamily" and "CpuModelNumber".  These
attributes should be distinctive enough to identify the processors you
want to target. (Aside -- on our pool, looks like we've currently got 14
different processor models right now).

Then, the next question is if this policy is something you'd like
per-job, or globally across your pool.  If it is per job, you can just
put in your job submit file's job rank _expression_ something like

Rank = CpuModelNumber

and higher model numbers will "win".  Note that this job rank is
generally pretty weak, as in a busy pool, you may only have very few (or
even one) idle slot come available in any one negotiation cycle.  In
that case, the Job rank doesn't matter much.

If you'd like this globally, across your pool, you can put this in the
negotiator's

NEGOTIATOR_PRE_JOB_RANK = CpuModelNumber

And that will impact all jobs in the system.

Thanks, and let us know how this works,

-greg