Re: [HTCondor-users] Search on website seems broken and Re: Replacing the Email-List

On 6/3/2021 1:42 AM, Till Riedel (TM) wrote:

To add another immodest proposal from some one who actually reads but rarely "uses" the mailing list actively would be to actually improve the search of the archives and make it more visible on the website to new users.

The site search (https://www-auth.cs.wisc.edu/lists/htcondor-users/htdig/search.shtml) seems to be broken as it points to lists.cs.wisc.edu but google indexes "https://www-auth.cs.wisc.edu/lists/htcondor-users/" for some reason.

Hi Till,

Thank you so very much for bringing this to our attention!

I updated the htcondor-users search page as per your findings....  please take a look and let me know if you spot anything else!
https://www-auth.cs.wisc.edu/lists/htcondor-users/htdig/search.shtml

If this is fixed also new users will value the mailing list much more IMHO...

Agreed, and now hopefully fixed!

Thank you for all the great ressources btw and the help provided via this list!!

You are very welcome.... and thank you for your interest in HTCondor.

My final 2 cents: I principally, however, agree that particularly new users feel a bit intimidated writing to an old school public mailing list. We had exactly this case a week ago, that I had to really convince someone to even consider posting to this list.

Yes, there is no right or wrong answer here.  I personally feel that Oliver F hit many relevant points in his post on the topic last week.  And while current users of htcondor-users seem to prefer an email listserv, that is rather self-selecting, and I have also observed others that strongly prefer something like Discord. A large concern I have is we only have so much effort here at CHTC, and continuing to add (and never remove) additional streams for monitoring questions is not scalable.  Your idea of having htcondor-users plus a pointer to the StackOverflow tag may be the right mixture.....   We are still considering the options here, the feedback people have provided both on this list and at the virtual HTCondor Week 2021 meeting is very valuable to us.

regards,
Todd

I "grew up" reading FreeBSD Mailing lists, so you do not have to convince me. Actually it might be good promote stackoverflow on the website for this generation: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/tagged/condor . I found the level here much lower (maybe even too low in places). I might be a really good complement to this great mailing list. It would be actually also great to see cross-posts from the mailing-list and vice-versa.

Again so many thanks for providing so much valuable ressources here and responding so fast to questions.

- Till Riedel