Re: [condor-users] Hello

On Thu, Feb 05, 2004 at 01:08:06PM +0800, Andrew Wang wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Nice to meet you, 2 things:
>
> 1) http://www.cs.wisc.edu/condor/
> "(Feb 2003) Paradyn-Condor Week April 14-16th, 2004!"
>
> Should be Feb 2004, i guess?

Yes, thanks for letting us know.

> 2) Also, any news on opensource available date?

No. We don't have a date set. We've finished our build work (much less imake,
much more configure :)

However, we've decided that the open-source release will include "new"
Classads. New Classads are a lot less surprising in their behavior, the
API is much more complete and consistent, and they're faster. They're also
the future of Condor, and we honestly don't want to put any time into old
classads - we've got developer documentation on new Classads, we'd have to
write it for old classads. Things like bug fixes and security patches on old
classads would all have people spending their time on code that we want to die
as quickly as possible, which does no one any good.

We may also implement privilege separation before we do the open-source
release. We have informally designed how it would work and what needs to
happen, and it's something that we'd like to see in Condor. What we haven't
decided is if it waiting for it to go in would hold up the open-source
release. We'll probably evaluate that when the only thing left in the
Open-Source DAG is priv. separation.

We realize that many people are looking for a firm date that we're going
to release the source on. That's really not the way we'd like to approach
the source release, and we'd rather release it "when it's ready."
Personally, and not speaking for the team in any sort of manner, I'd guess
that it will be not sooner than three months, and not later than six
months before we release the source. (But I also guessed that it would take
us less than a year last year to release the source, so take that with
a grain of salt)

Please let us know if you've got any comments, questions, or concerns.

Thanks!

-Erik
Condor Support Information: