Re: [condor-users] condor_config single point administration

On Wed, Feb 11, 2004 at 04:51:08PM -0800, Diamond, Edward wrote:
> I would like to be able to manage all the machine condor_config files on
> the Central Manager server rather than as separate files on each.  It is
> not clear to me from reading the documentation, how to do this.  The
> Admin manual mentions a global config file, but not where that file is
> located (Central Manager?).  Can I have a condor_config file on each
> machine in the pool that has only one entry pointing to a $(HOST).local
> file located on the Central Manager?  Our pool consists of all Windows
> machines running either Win2k or WinXp.

It's just a matter of where you put your configuration files. Condor
has some default locations it will look for a config file, but you
can override those.

The easiest way is to have some sort of shared filesystem, and
have everything use that, and override machine-specific things in
a $(HOSTNAME).local

For example, in our pool*, all machines share a config file of
T:\unsup\condor\etc\condor_config. That file sets all the things
we want the same on every machine, like the name of the central
manager, etc.

Inside of that file, there's also a line that is

LOCAL_CONFIG_FILE = T:\unsup\condor\etc\hosts\$(HOSTNAME).local

Then in T:\unsup\condor\etc\hosts\ we have a file for every machine, that
usually is just 3 lines long, saying where the EXECUTE, LOG, and SPOOL
directory go.

-Erik

(*actually, that's technically a lie - what we have is:

HOSTS = $(ETC)/condor_config.hosts
GLOBAL = $(ETC)/condor_config.global
POLICY = $(ETC)/condor_config.policy
PLATFORM = $(ETC)/condor_config.platform
SYSNAME  = $(ETC)/condor_config.afs_sysname
LOCAL = $(ETC)/hosts/$(HOSTNAME).local

LOCAL_CONFIG_FILE = $(HOSTS), $(GLOBAL), $(POLICY), $(PLATFORM), \
                    $(SYSNAME),  $(LOCAL)

We use AFS @sys links to make condor_config.platform be the right thing for
different operating systems.

)