Re: [Gems-users] Parameter Configuration

Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 09:14:52 -0600 (CST)
From: Mike Marty <mikem@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Gems-users] Parameter Configuration
ruby0.tracer-output-file is used to generate a request trace from the
processors.

You can probably use an existing tool to get a trace filtered by the
caches.  But you may wish to consider adding to the code as well.  There
is a flag called PROTOCOL_DEBUG_TRACE in ruby/config/rubyconfig.defaults.
This is already set to true.  What this does is enable the tracing of
cache coherence protocol transitions.  To get a memory access trace, you
could probably post-process this trace by simply grepping for the
"Directory" transitions.

The debug output file is set with this command:
   ruby0.debug-output-file your_file_name.txt

However you also must specify a starting time to enable the trace.  To
start immediatly, specify a starting time of 1 by doing:
   ruby0.debug-start-time "1"

If you are interesting in adding to the code to make a cleaner trace, let
us know and we can give code pointers.

--Mike