Re: [Gems-users] Ruby statistics - No L1 cache miss ???

Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 13:46:58 +0200
From: mehmetderin.harmanci@xxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Gems-users] Ruby statistics - No L1 cache miss ???
  Hello,

> The statistic might not be hooked up to the particular protocol you are
> simulating.

  How can I find out if it is the case? I'm using the MOSI_SMP_bcast protocol,
  the one which is given as  an example in the Wiki Quickstart page. Also,
  I have set the following set of  parameters (at runtime) as follows:

  ruby0.setparam      g_RANDOM_SEED                1
  ruby0.setparam      g_trace_warmup_length  1000000
  ruby0.setparam      SIMICS_RUBY_MULTIPLIER       2
  ruby0.setparam      OPAL_RUBY_MULTIPLIER         1
  ruby0.setparam_str  REMOVE_SINGLE_CYCLE_DCACHE_FAST_PATH true

  ruby0.setparam      L1_CACHE_ASSOC               2
  ruby0.setparam      L1_CACHE_NUM_SETS_BITS       7
  ruby0.setparam      L2_CACHE_ASSOC               4
  ruby0.setparam      L2_CACHE_NUM_SETS_BITS      13

  ruby0.setparam      g_MEMORY_SIZE_BYTES 4294967296
  ruby0.setparam      g_DATA_BLOCK_BYTES         128
  ruby0.setparam      g_PAGE_SIZE_BYTES         4096
  ruby0.setparam      g_NUM_PROCESSORS             1
  ruby0.setparam      g_NUM_L2_BANKS               0
  ruby0.setparam      g_NUM_MEMORIES               0
  ruby0.setparam      g_PROCS_PER_CHIP             1

  ruby0.setparam      NULL_LATENCY                 0
  ruby0.setparam      NETWORK_LINK_LATENCY         4
  ruby0.setparam      CACHE_RESPONSE_LATENCY      12
  ruby0.setparam      MEMORY_RESPONSE_LATENCY_MINUS_2    268
  ruby0.setparam      DIRECTORY_LATENCY            2
  ruby0.setparam      DIRECTORY_CACHE_LATENCY      1

  ruby0.setparam      ON_CHIP_LINK_LATENCY         1
  ruby0.setparam      RECYCLE_LATENCY             10
  ruby0.setparam      TIMER_LATENCY            10000

  ruby0.setparam_str  PERIODIC_TIMER_WAKEUPS    true

  ruby0.setparam      L1_REQUEST_LATENCY           3
  ruby0.setparam      L2_REQUEST_LATENCY           5
  ruby0.setparam      L2_RECYCLE_LATENCY           5

  ruby0.setparam      SEQUENCER_TO_CONTROLLER_LATENCY 2

  ruby0.setparam      g_SEQUENCER_OUTSTANDING_REQUESTS 8

  ruby0.setparam      NUMBER_OF_TBES              16
  ruby0.setparam      NUMBER_OF_L1_TBES           16
  ruby0.setparam      NUMBER_OF_L1_TBES           16

  ruby0.setparam_str  FINITE_BUFFERING         false
  ruby0.setparam      FINITE_BUFFER_SIZE           0
  ruby0.setparam      PROTOCOL_BUFFER_SIZE         2

  ruby0.setparam_str  g_NETWORK_TOPOLOGY     HIERARCHICAL_SWITCH
  ruby0.setparam_str  g_CACHE_DESIGN            NUCA
  ruby0.setparam      g_NUM_DNUCA_BANK_SETS        8
  ruby0.setparam      g_NUM_DNUCA_BANK_SET_BITS    0
  ruby0.setparam      NUMBER_OF_VIRTUAL_NETWORKS   4
  ruby0.setparam      FAN_OUT_DEGREE               4
  ruby0.setparam_str  g_PRINT_TOPOLOGY          true

  Is there something wrong with those parameters?

  By the way, what does a TBE mean (Sorry for the ignorance)
  Is it tag memory, the TLB ?

  One more small question. How can we configure the intra-chip
  network? From the ISCA slides I understand that Ruby generates
  a single central switch to connect all intra chip components.
  Is it always the case, or can we configure this network to be
  something else? (By the way, where is the this central switch
  defined, in which file/object can I find this switch?)

  Any help will be very much appretiated.

  Thanks,

  Derin Harmanci