Re: [Gems-users] NUCA Profiler

Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 10:48:29 +0200
From: "Daniele Bordes" <daniele.bordes@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Gems-users] NUCA Profiler
I think that there is a difference in latency between accessing a
local or a center bank.
Well, I'm really NOT sure, but I think that latencies are determined
by parameters' values set in ruby configuration file. Part of these
parameters' names contains the word "latency"  (for instance,
NETWORK_LINK_LATENCY). Moreover, usually the number of links between
L1_cache and a local bank is lower than the number of links between
L1_cache and center banks. Finally, it seems to me that the searching
process involves at first only local banks, and only after the other
banks.
Surely ruby authors would be more accurate.

If you want to go in details, you could try to look inside the files
"SimpleNetwork.C" and "Topology.C". The code contained in these files
"builds" the network of switches, links and banks and the
"construction" takes into account the latencies specified. Sorry, but
about the profiler, at this moment I don't know how it takes into
account the latencies.

Hope my answer is useful for you.

Regards.