Re: [Gems-users] CPU accesses to L2 cache

Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2006 12:57:54 +0100
From: "Daniele Bordes" <daniele.bordes@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Gems-users] CPU accesses to L2 cache
Thank you for your quick and exhaustive reply, Dan. I try to answer
your last questions:

dump-stats reports the stats for the entire execution history.

I load Ruby modules after executing prstat and ps commands, so I think
no commands are in execution when I load Ruby.

How about cpu-switch-time 1?
At the moment I cannot verify and I don't remember, but I think I left
it as default. In Simics guide I read that setting that value low
would slow simulations very much. Do you think that value could affect
CPU0's number of accesses?

Did you run the benchmark for long time? Did you start ruby after the
processor_bind() calls to avoid the single-cpu startup transient?

Yes. I run benchmarks till completion (it takes me nearly two days)
and I load and start ruby after processor_bind calls. That is, threads
binding to CPUs happens before the loading of ruby.