Re: [Gems-users] Some questions about the inter-connect network

Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 14:47:33 -0400
From: Lei Jin <jinlei@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Gems-users] Some questions about the inter-connect network
Mike,

Thank you for your quick response.

Based on my understanding of your explanation of "chip", if I want to make a CMP with a single shared L2, then I should just make one chip? Is this right?

In the 2DTorus topology, the makeSwitchesPerChip() just connects all the MessageBuffers to the same switch for that chip. Then you connect the switches. I feel the 2D Torus topology is really among chips. But from your explanation, the topology is implemented among processors. Can you explain this a little bit? Especially how do you calculate the number of switches by following line:

numberOfTorusSwitches = m_nodes/MachineType_base_level(MachineType_NUM);

Thanks!

Lei

Mike Marty wrote:
I am a little confused by the inter-connect networks implemented in
GEMS. What does the "chip" stand for? Is it a CMP? Or just a core within
the CMP?

A Chip in Ruby is really just a way to organize some parameters and to
keep track of instances of objects.  We usually think of it as number of
processors within a CMP, but you don't have to.

For example, it is used by the CMP protocols to denote which processors
belong to the shared-L2 cluster.

however if your target CMP has multiple shared L2s on the same CMP, then
you could still model this as one CMP even though Ruby has several "Chip"
instantiations".

I guess the organization here is in a computer system, we can have
multiple CMP "chips", then within each chip, we have multiple cores. Is
it right?

If it is correct, I don't understand why you use
m_nodes/MachineType_base_level(MachineType_NUM) to get the
numberOfTorusSwitches. And you say it is number of inter-chip switches.
  How do you connect the components with chip?

The interconnect model doesn't care about Chips.  It just connects
together MessageBuffers which attach to cache controllers.

Yes, its confusing and is an artifact of refactoring our old SMP-only code
to remain backwards compatible with our older SMP protocols (that were not
released).