Re: [Gems-users] Some questions about the inter-connect network

Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 11:51:41 -0500 (CDT)
From: Mike Marty <mikem@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Gems-users] Some questions about the inter-connect network
> I am a little confused by the inter-connect networks implemented in
> GEMS. What does the "chip" stand for? Is it a CMP? Or just a core within
> the CMP?

A Chip in Ruby is really just a way to organize some parameters and to
keep track of instances of objects.  We usually think of it as number of
processors within a CMP, but you don't have to.

For example, it is used by the CMP protocols to denote which processors
belong to the shared-L2 cluster.

however if your target CMP has multiple shared L2s on the same CMP, then
you could still model this as one CMP even though Ruby has several "Chip"
instantiations".

> I guess the organization here is in a computer system, we can have
> multiple CMP "chips", then within each chip, we have multiple cores. Is
> it right?
>
> If it is correct, I don't understand why you use
> m_nodes/MachineType_base_level(MachineType_NUM) to get the
> numberOfTorusSwitches. And you say it is number of inter-chip switches.
>   How do you connect the components with chip?

The interconnect model doesn't care about Chips.  It just connects
together MessageBuffers which attach to cache controllers.

Yes, its confusing and is an artifact of refactoring our old SMP-only code
to remain backwards compatible with our older SMP protocols (that were not
released).