Re: [Gems-users] MOESI_SMP_hammer question

Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 16:18:21 -0500
From: Mike Marty <mikem@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Gems-users] MOESI_SMP_hammer question
We added an optimization to the AMD Hammer protocol so that data is not returned twice on any sharing miss. This requires meta-state to the memory controller. It isn't really a directory.

--Mike

Perry Wang wrote:

Hi,

I’m new to Ruby and couldn’t find much info in the
list archive so please bear with me.

I was under the impression that opteron based systems
(< 8P) implement broadcast based MOESI, so I’m a bit
confused about why there’s a directory implemented
here  MOESI_SMP_hammer-dir.sm

Could this be modeling after larger systems using,
say, HORUS chip?

thanks in advance