Re: [Gems-users] Adding Components to Ruby

Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 14:20:17 -0500
From: Philip Garcia <pcgarcia@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Gems-users] Adding Components to Ruby
It depends partially on where you want to put the hardware components, and what the components plan on doing.   From what i've gathered, L1 is checked for the data in Sequencer's call to doRequest (hit=tryCacheAccess .. .).  If there is a hit, it will go through the fast cache access path.  If not the issueRequest function will be called which will queue up the access for the L2.   It than adds on latency and puts it into the queue.   If you wanted the hardware to go between the L1 access and L2 hardware you could call a different function besides issue request, and do your work on the new hardware in there.  After that you could then call issueRequest on the data.  You should even be able to add latency at that point (separate from the SEQUENCER_TO_CONTROLLER_LATENCY), but the handling of that I am unsure of.

I am currently looking to use a similar method to bypass L1 cache under certain instances, but so far I haven't tested too much of this.  Mike, correct me if I'm wrong with any of this.

Phil