Re: [Gems-users] cpu-switch-time

Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2007 09:35:04 +0800
From: "hongxia sun" <sunhx.seraph@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Gems-users] cpu-switch-time
Hi Shougata,

Because Simics is a function simulator, only one processor could run at a certain time. The parameter cpu-switch-time is used to switch Simics simulation time among multiprocessors.
If you set cpu-switch-time to 1000, Simics while switches from a processor to another processor each 1000 cycles. That means during these 1000 cycles, only this processor is running and sending memory transitions to ruby. While if you set cpu-switch-time to 1, Simics while switches among processor every cycle, thus the competition for a same cacheline will be much more intensely. Moreover, switching frequently among processors also need more time.
However, as I know, if you set cpu-switch-time to a high value, you cannot simulate the parallel operations of multiprocessor exactly.
It depends on your demand.

Best Regards,
Hongxia SUN