Re: [Gems-users] Change in ruby network code?

Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2007 17:04:39 -0500
From: Mike Marty <mikem@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Gems-users] Change in ruby network code?
1 processor per chip should work fine with the CMP protocols.
--Mike

Lide Duan wrote:
Mike,

Thank you for the reply. One more question about the protocol: I know it's mandatory to set the g_PROCS_PER_CHIP to 1 when using SMP protocols, but when using CMP protocols, can we also have one processor on a single chip? or do we need to guarantee at least 2 processors per chip when using CMP protocols?

Thanks,
Lide

On 7/29/07, *Mike Marty* <mikem@xxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:mikem@xxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    > But I am still concerning the protocol as you mentioned. The
    protocol
    > I am using now is MOESI_CMP_directory, and the 16p are placed on 16
    > chips (1 p on 1 chip). Actually I want to observe the network
    behavior
    > of a 16p CMP, but in order to utilize the auto-generated TORUS2D
    > interconnet, I placed each processor on a single chip, but
    reduced the
    > latencies to make the 16p communicate like on a single chip. Is it
    > resonable to do this? Is there any restriction on the protocol
    can be
    > used if I do so?

    This is reasonable, but I'm not sure where the directory/memory
    controllers are placed and plus the default TORUS2D code will
    create a
    memory controller for every processor.

    An alternative approach uses FILE_SPECIFIED topology.

    --Mike