Re: [Gems-users] Simulated machine execution time

Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 16:41:22 -0400
From: Greg Byrd <gbyrd@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Gems-users] Simulated machine execution time
Agreed.  Clock-based interrupts will occur less frequently (i.e., more cycles in between).  I/O timing will look different.  Are there other differences that you've encountered that I haven't considered?  (This isn't a rhetorical question -- I'm really interested in what others think about this.)

...Greg

Mike Marty wrote:
I tend to use the "sarek" configuration.  In
$SIMICS/home/sarek/sarek-common.simics, there's a python variable "cpu_freq"
that sets this parameter.  It defaults to 75.

Also, at least for the Ultrasparc processor, it's saved when you do a simics
checkpoint.  Look for the string "freq_mhz".  You can just change this (for all
processors) in the checkpoint file directly.

Note that changing this only affects time from the Simics point of view.  It
doesn't have any effect on Ruby cycles.

Except that it could change the execution path that a program takes

--mike