[Condor-users] Using JobPrio to adjust the RANK on machines

The situation: my office is not a fair-share type of place. I'd like to
exploit the RANK attribute on startd machines to achieve a non-fair
share environment. Section 3.6.2 of the 6.6.7 manual lists "JobPrio" as
a job ClassAd that's available when forming the machine's RANK
expression.

First question: I'm confused. Section 3.6.2 says that the higher the
JobPrio number the worse the priority. But the man page for
condor_submit in section 9 says of the "priority = [-20:+20]" setting
that jobs with higher numerical priority will run before jobs with lower
numerical priority. This is strange, is it not? Is the documentation
wrong in one instance or is there some relationship between the priority
setting in the submission ticket at the JobPrio ClassAd that I can't
find?

What I'm thinking of doing is using JobPrio to adjust the rank
expression on machines so that user priorities influence job matching
and I can say to my users "only change your user priority if you want to
trump everyone else on machines". So what I'm thinking of doing is:

	RANK = (JobPrio * -1)

I'm using -1 because the JobPrio says higher is worse, so this makes
JobPrio = -20 jobs rank above JobPrio = 20 jobs.

Second question: Is this a good idea? Can someone comment on using
JobPrio to help create an environment where users can unfairly gain
access to resources when they need them.

Thanks!
Ian

--
Ian R. Chesal <ichesal@xxxxxxxxxx>