Re: [Condor-users] Mac OS X support

On Fri, Apr 22, 2005 at 04:28:08PM +0100, Matt Hope wrote:
> I think you may have misinterpreted the full behaviour of the standard
> universes.
>
> They do not simply checkpoint, they also intercept all i/o and
> redirect system calls to the submitting machine...this means the
> submitting machine and the executing machine must be compatible at
> that level.
>
> see:
> http://www.cs.wisc.edu/condor/manual/v6.7/2_4Road_map_Running.html#SECTION00341100000000000000
>
> Even if you were to compile (more importantly link but it's called
> condor_compile) the code on a valid machine and then try to submit
> from MacOSX to a redhat machine then it would attempt to 'talk back'
> to your submit machine and be very unhappy at not finding the relevant
> functionality.

Just to be clear - you can cross-submit between platforms that both
support standard universe. If you use condor_compile to create a job
for Linux, you can submit it from a Solaris machine and the job will run
fine on the Linux execute machines. Condor translates the system calls into
something sensible for the Solaris machine.

> To make it crystal clear:
>
> If your OS is 'clipped' it cannot submit or run standard universe jobs...

That's true. So you can't submit a standard universe job from Mac OS X -
this is because clipped ports do not include a condor_shadow that
understands how to translate remote system calls.

-Erik