Re: [Condor-users] Question about $(Process)

On 7/4/05, Miguel Dilaj <mdilaj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Got rtgen up and running, thanks for the suggestions!
>
> I've a question. I know that I can have unique filenames with things like:
> output-$(Process).txt, etc.
> Is there any way to indicate that I want that index to start with a value
> different than zero???

directly with condor, sadly no. $(Process) is evaluated as a string
not a numeric so fun such as $(Process) + 1 won't work.

solutions

1) hacky and wasteful but simple.

say you actually want from 1-n rather than from 0-n
Submit n+1 jobs but have the 0th job die (nicely if possible but if
not just ignore the resulting failure)

2) Wrap your job in a script which is capable of interpreting the
process as a number (either as an argument or as part of the
environment) and adjusting accordingly.
This is heavily dependant on the scripting language being available on
all execute machines.

3) ask nicely for the condor team to consider an extension of the
syntax to coerce variables as numbers perhaps via
$(= ($(Process) + 1) / 2  )

though this begs the question of whether you are using integral, fixed
or floating point literals and arithmetic :)

Matt