[Condor-users] upgrading a condor installation

The condor docs have a section about how to shut down and restart your condor pool when you upgrade, but I can't find how to do said upgrade.  The condor_install and condor_configure scripts aren't clear, although condor_configure mentions something about upgrading an existing installation.  Can I just untar release.tar over my old installation, keeping the config files and host-specific directories?  Or do I need to do something else?

--
    -- Graeme
    graeme.lufkin@xxxxxxxxx