Re: [Condor-users] How to make job attribute updates appear in the dag's log file?

On 8/10/06, Horvátth Szabolcs <szabolcs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Matt Hope wrote:
> I was thinking about using qedit to 'report' data from a job to the
> condor classad system (your previous post on this resparked my
> interest) but I realised just putting it into the queue was fairly
> useless for gui based stuff (as opposed to updating stuff used by the
> periodic_xxx expressions) since there was no way I was going to be
> polling the queue that much.*

If only the user attribute changes appeared in the logfile (as every
other action appears) it would be
really simple and efficient to pass data from the starter to the scheduler.

sounds reasonable :)

> Incidentally how easy did you fin it was to invoke qedit from the
> execute machine?

It was quite simple: for the qedit method I added the scheduler name and
the jobid to the job's
submit file as environment variables and the script that executed on the
starter machine just read them
and periodically called condor_qedit from the application using this
data. Worked nicely but required the
condor users to be queue admins.

This would be the sticker for me - very easy to have someone write
something that (by accident) screwed up other jobs on the same schedd
without too much trouble.
Would have a hard time explaining that one away :(

But in the meantime Grag Thain
suggested a much simpler method
using Chirp that does not require any additional information in the
submit file. (You need 6.8.0 to get it working.)

And to be running java or C by the looks of things - anyone written an
implementation of the protocol in .net?

Not sure it's worth me wrapping the c protocol when I can read stuff
from my database if I need to (just a pain to do from a bash/awk hack
of a script :)

I use this for run-time progress report and it does work nicely, except
that I can only access the data through
condor_q or quill. And quill does nor work for me with this release (on
windows). Looking forward to the 6.8.1 fix. :)

Since Ian seems happy with it maybe I'll be a bit more open to it -
time to learn post gresql I suppose.

Matt