[Condor-users] (no subject)

Hello all.

I'm not exactly clear about the distinction and interplay between the
START and STARTD_EXPRS machine configuration parameters.

Is it fair to say that the START parameter describes when the machine
is willing to run (by setting requirements on jobs' class ads),
whereas the STARTD_EXPRS adds any user-defined parameters to the
machine's class ad?

If so, why is STARTD_EXPRS necessary?  I'm particularly looking at
http://www.cs.wisc.edu/condor/manual/v6.7/7_2Setting_up.html#SECTION00825000000000000000,
about requiring packages to be installed on a machine.  If the user
defines a boolean parameter MY_PACKAGE_INSTALLED, why wouldn't job
class ads be able to access that directly, without going through
STARTD_EXPRS?

Thanks,

Darin