Re: [Condor-users] What makes a node execute node or not a execute node?

On Wed, Nov 15, 2006 at 04:25:30PM -0500, Junjun Mao wrote:
> I am installing a new Condor pool with "new" installation method. As you
> can see from the following line:
> ./condor_configure --install=/home/jmao/condor-6.8.2/release.tar --install-dir=/home/condor --local-dir=/usr/local/condor --type=manager,submit
>
> What I want to do is to make it a central manager and submission
> machine. As this is not supposed be an execute node, I am surprised to
> see the this node in condor_status report.

we'll investigate this and see if there is a problem with the condor_configure
script.

> I am curious about what makes this node not an execute node? Is it
> possible to hide it from condor_status?

what actually determines if a node is an execute node is whether or not it is
running the condor_startd daemon.

in the condor_config file, there is a parameter called DAEMON_LIST.  if you
see the STARTD in this list, you can remove it, completely restart condor
(including the condor_master), and the node will no longer be an execute node.

that said, i would also recommend NOT having your central manager be a submit
node.  the reason is that by default, condor allows the central manager machine
to issue administrator commands (like condor_off).  if you are using stronger
user-based security instead of host-based, it can be safely set up that way,
but i would otherwise discourage you from doing so.  any user who can log in to
the submit machine could then turn off condor.  if this is a web portal and no
one is logging in directly, or if you trust all your users, then you're okay.

cheers,
-zach