Re: [Condor-users] Questions on Windows Deployment

Ivan,

I’m not sure I fully understand your problem but hopefully I can help.  When you say “user switching is impossible” I believe you are referring to the mechanism known as “fast user switching” which allows more than one user to share the console on a non-domain affiliated machine.  The fast user switching mechanism has nothing to do with ability of a operating system to run processes with different user credentials.  You can see this for yourself by opening task manager and looking at the owner of the various running processes.  You should see many users running processes such as SYSTEM, NETWORK SERVICE, LOCAL SERVICE, as well as your own username.  You can test to see if your Condor user can run concurrently by doing the following at a command prompt:

Ø       runas /user:condor cmd.exe

You will be prompted for the Condor user’s password after which a command window should open running under the Condor user’s context.  In my environment, I don’t use a local Condor user (i.e. machinename\Condor) instead I created a domain user called Condor (i.e. domain\Condor).  By using a domain level account Condor’s rights and privileges can be centrally controlled just like that of any other user.

When setting up Condor in this fashion you need to be mindful that all jobs will run in the domain\Condor user context.  You should be careful when granting permissions to that user otherwise you might inadvertently provide a backdoor to your end-users for elevating their privilege level.  My own users figured out that Condor had more rights than they did so they just submitted jobs to condor to access files which they could not.

Another thing to keep in mind; since the jobs will be running as domain\Condor, you need to do store the Condor user credentials on each execution node.  You can do this by logging is as domain\Condor or by using the same runas technique we used above.

Ø       runas /user:domain\Condor cmd.exe

In the resulting command window:

Ø       condor_store_cred add

-Bryan