Re: [Condor-users] Forcing job to run on submit host

On Mon, Nov 05, 2007 at 09:33:12AM -0800, Stuart Anderson wrote:
> > I've got quite the opposite problem: since the submit hosts only run
> > a scaled-down version of the Condor daemon list (in particular, the
> > STARTD is missing), they refuse to run "local universe" jobs as well.
>
> I don't think you need a STARTD on the submit machine to run Local Universe
> jobs. Do you know it is not working? What is your setting for the macro
> that determines whether to start a local uniervse job, e.g., we have,
> START_LOCAL_UNIVERSE      = TotalLocalJobsRunning < 100

That was already in. (START_LOCAL_UNIVERSE = True)

On Mon, Nov 05, 2007 at 12:31:11PM -0600, Erik Paulson wrote:
> Jobs in the "scheduler" and "local" universe are spawned directly by
> the condor_schedd. The main difference between the "scheduler" universe
> and the "local" universe is that the "local" universe requires a
> condor_starter to be present (note: startER, not startD).
>
> You may have scaled down Condor too far for your submit hosts. Make sure you
> have condor_starter binaries available on your submit hosts.

No. I eventually found the culprit:
I had no "STARTER_LOCAL = $(SBIN)/condor_starter" line in the config file.
Why? Because I rewrote the condor_config from scratch, with the "3.3 Configuration"
scetion of the manual as a template, and a pretty outdated config (6.4.7 or so)
to fill in missing things - and there's no description of STARTER_LOCAL in
the manual (6.9.3, June 14, 2007).

I'm afraid I have missed more things like this one - the PDF manual isn't
too consistent, cannot be searched properly (because of the underscore
characters; but still better than the online HTML one), I'm often stuck
with my printed 846-page copy :(
(Hint for the manual index: it's confusing to have separate ordered lists
for ClassAd functions & attributes,  and configuration macros. A "flat"
list of all keywords could be browsed more easily.)