Sorry for the basic question.

thanx
steve

On Nov 6, 2007, at 12:37 PM, Ben Burnett wrote:

Condor runs Windows jobs as an unprivileged user (condor-slot/n/), so that, among other things, some malicious user cannot come along and submit a job that trashes your execute nodes. Along with this, we don't load the unprivileged user's profile, so all registry entries are read-only (in fact, the only "user" registry entries this user can see are those of the SYSTEM account [which has next to nothing of relevance in it]). A future version of Condor will allow a submit script have the Windows profile loaded for a user, which will bypass the
problem of a read-only user registry.

The reason, I suspect, that runs on a logged on user account, is that there is some information available to it on that account, that it is missing on the
execute side.

-B

-----Original Message-----
From: condor-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:condor-users- bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Stephen Upton
Sent: Tuesday, November 06, 2007 10:44 AM
To: Condor-Users Mail List
Subject: Re: [Condor-users] WinXP Application Error running with Condor

Hi Ben,

Thanks for you answer. I'll look into what the application is
actually doing. The executable is on each of the nodes, and the .bat
file that calls it, gives the absolute path to the executable (as
well as the database it references, also configured on each node).
Other than that, I can't give you much more, since I don't know
myself (I'm helping the user out distributing his simulation).

However, I wonder why the app runs fine just from the command line,
i.e., just running the .bat file. Is windows doing something there or
knows something that condor doesn't when it runs the .bat file (the
app, and staring condor, are running under administrator)? Thanks for
being patient.

thanx
steve