Re: [Condor-users] Condor and diskless beowulf cluster

On Wed, Nov 07, 2007 at 05:30:36PM -0500, Vasil Lalov wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am currently in the process of building a small mini grid of 2
> clusters. One of them is already up and running and condor is working
> fine.
>
> The second cluster is a diskless node cluster on which there is no
> Condor installation at this point.
>
> I need to know if I need to install Condor on each diskless compute node
> as a condor execute machine?  Since the entire OS of the compute nodes
> is loaded from the head node, will installing Condor on the head node as
> master, execute and submission machine be enough?

Some years ago we had a single Condor installation on a NFS volume (but
the number of nodes was ~10 only). Since there is the opportunity to have
individual config files for the nodes (selected by hostname) you still
can configure everything as you like. (DAEMON_LIST, START, NETWORK_INTERFACE
for the head node[s])

It might make sense to move some stuff to ramdisks to reduce the load on
the network... at the expense of available memory though, so there's a tradeoff.

Cheers,
 Steffen