Re: [Condor-users] Quill vs. Quill++

On Fri, Oct 26, 2007 at 12:16:14PM -0400, Robert E. Parrott wrote:
> Thanks for the responses, folks.
>
> Can a Condor team member confirm this, and suggest an approach to
> moving forward with implementing Quill on our systems?
>
> If the schemas really are different, then I have some concerns about
> using quill in the present stable series.

The Quill in 6.8 only stores the current job queue and historical
job information in the database. When Quill (both the 6.8 and 6.9.4+
versions) starts up, it deletes everything in the database about the
current job queue and rebuilds it from the schedd's job_queue.log.
Migrating between a 6.8 and 6.9 Quill is therefore pretty painless if
you're only interested in getting the current job queue into the database
- it's as simple as shutting the old Quill down, dropping the old schema
and loading the new schema, and starting the new Quill.

For historical jobs, the migration stragety is to serialize the
data from the 6.8 version of the database, and import it into the
6.9.4+ database. The format for the serialized data is identical to
the file condor_history processes. We provide a tool in 6.8 called
'condor_dump_history' which will create a condor_history file from the
database. 6.9.4+ includes a tool called 'condor_load_history', which
takes a condor_history file and stores it in a database. This way,
a site that previously ran Quill, or a site that has never used Quill
can load historical job information into the 6.9.4 Quill databases.

There is no other information from the 6.8 series to migrate to the
6.9.4 Quill.

-Erik