Re: [Condor-users] any submit file generators

On Aug 5, 2008, at 5:22 PM, Ryan Lewis wrote:

I do the same thing, but the idea here is let them get an account and
be on there own until they ask for help.

I don't understand why there isn't a a pre-existing project (maybe on
sourceforge) for such a file generator.... Maybe we could start one?
It seems like the basics have been covered by simple web forms, I
think a proper AJAX based system could be constructed with the help of
others...

I think part of the problem is that submit files are so application specific. If you have a particular application in mind, it's not hard to write a script that will plug in the right input and output files, etc., but for more general use and more complex jobs the files quickly get different enough that you'd have to already understand the file syntax to know what to put into the web form.

I prefer to have my users get used to writing their own submit files for their early, simple jobs, so they have something to build from when they want to do more complicated stuff later.

That's just my opinion, though. If you've got a good vision for how you want your system to work, I don't want to discourage you from pursuing it.

--

David Brodbeck
System Administrator, Linguistics