Re: [Condor-users] Getting 6.8.6 for Solaris 9?

Ben Burnett wrote:
With the new VM universe does this mean Condor startd's run on VMWare's
bare metal Linux distribution? I'm most interested in using VMs on the
OS distribution that supports paravirtualized drivers so we can run very
near to native speed inside VMs. With VMWare the only way I know of to
get this is to use their strippped down, bare metal, esX Linux server
distribution. Have your VM universe guys been testing with this distro
or have they just been running the free VMWare player on top of say RHEL
or OEL or CentOS?
<<<

Currently, VM Universe only supports VMware Server, not the Player; fortunately,
VMware Server is also free.  I've never actually been able to get an ESX server
running properly on my hardware, but since there is some interest in it, I'll
take another stab at this weekend and see if it provides the tools VM Universe
requires in order to interact with VMs (i.e. the vmrun command line tool).

Regards,
-B

The VM Universe on the Linux side can manage Xen VMs, which will get you your paravirtualized speedup. The current model is submission /of/ a VM, i.e. disk w/ job + kernel, instead of submission /to/ a VM, i.e. just job.

Best,

matt