Re: [Condor-users] Windows Job Objects (was Re: Condor and GPUs)

On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 9:28 PM, Erik Paulson <epaulson@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 07, 2008 at 10:50:39AM +0100, Matt Hope wrote:
>>
>> 2) Windows provides job objects
>> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms684161(VS.85).aspx these are
>> fantastic for limiting memory usage - just building this into all the
>> high memory usage jobs totally solves the memory thrashing
>>

> This was a long time ago, so maybe I'm wrong about this, but once upon
> a time we were really excited about JobObjects - until we actually
> looked at them, and it turned out that JobObjects couldn't be recursive -
> so if the job itself used a JobObject, it wouldn't work.

I believe this is true. I would think it unlikely that many people
would build them in themselves if they were present already though...
Given the greater flexibility (if higher initial cost to configure and
use) of VM's though I can see how those would be a higher priority. In
that case dynamically allocating resources to the VM is one idea, I'm
not sure how easy that is to configure on all the different VM
implementations though.

Matt