Re: [Condor-users] Condor-G and GAHP

On Jun 15, 2008, at 11:26 PM, txcom2003@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

I have some question about Condor-G.

1. Is Condor-G still being maintained by Condor Team ? I Read Condor
manual and I think if it still being maintained it should had new
documentation about how Condor-G interact with newer version of Globus
Toolkit (curently GT4)

2. Sometimes I think that Condor-G has not change at all, the only change
was GAHP server. Is that true ? When I looked into GridManager log, I
still saw "GM_PROBE_JOBMANAGER". I think there is no JOBMANAGER that used
in Globus Toolkit 4 WS-GRAM.

3. When I visited GAHP site at http://www.cs.wisc.edu/condor/gahp/ , There
is no documentation about GT4 GAHP that available. can anyone show me
where to get Globus 4 GAHP documentation ?

* Globus 2 GAHP (the original GAHP). The GT2 GAHP protocol spec is here.
* Globus 3.2 GAHP. The GT3.2 GAHP protocol spec is here.
* Globus 4 GAHP. Spec coming soon
* C-GAHP (Condor GAHP). The C-GAHP protocol spec is here
* BLAHP (from INFN). The BLAHP protocol spec is here

Condor-G is still actively developed by the Condor Team. It can submit jobs to pre-WS GRAM (referred to as GT2) and WS GRAM (referred to as GT4). In developing the code for GT4 GRAM, we borrowed some naming conventions from the GT2 GRAM code. As you observed, there is no jobmanager in GT4 GRAM, but the name stuck in the Condor-G code.

At a high level, GT2 GRAM and GT4 GRAM work the same way. Condor writes a GRAM job description and submits it to the GRAM service, which handles the file transfers and job execution. The GRAM service sends notifications when the job's status changes. At a low level, the two are very different. We haven't written any documentation on the details of how Condor interacts with GT4 GRAM.

The GAHP webpage has fallen out of date. There is a GAHP for GT4 GRAM. We don't have a protocol specification document available for it, but the source code is available if you want to examine it.

Thanks and regards,
Jaime Frey
UW-Madison Condor Team